Monday, April 25, 2011

Beet Red

I have been researching natural dyes to use in my soaps. Not an easy task since the lye ingredient necessary to turn the base oils into soap defies most attempts at color change and fragrance retention. But, what about beets? Would the dark, blood red, beetroot juice hold up enough in the chemical process to produce a blush-colored bar of soap?

I picked up some fresh beets (beautiful in their own right), cut them into cubes, boiled them in water, and then used the resulting beet juice in my soap recipe. Even as I poured the soap solution into the mold, I could tell that the color was no where near red, pink or even blush. If anyone is interested in an oddly tan-colored bar of soap that smells like Peony, let me know.

Even though beet juice proved a bust in my soap making test, I did discover that the nutrient-rich, root by-product still offers a wealth of promising health benefits. It has been shown to lower blood pressure, improve stamina, and even fight inflammation. There is evidence to support its effectiveness in increasing the number of cancer-destroying cells in the colon. And, perhaps most encouraging of all, is a recent Wake Forest research study that found that a daily dose of beet juice could promote brain health in older adults, potentially combating the progression of dementia.

I say, drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment